To keep your operating system completely separate from all the web stuff, it is advisable to move inetpub directory off the root of a
%SystemDrive% to a completly different drive.
Source: Move IIS inetpub Directory | Domain Web Center
One hacked WordPress site can lead to thousands of victim sites when attackers use shared server resources to steal credentials from neighboring sites.d
Source: Hacking WordPress Sites on Shared Servers
We have recently been working on a project for a client that involves dynamically creating web pages from data stored in a Microsoft SQL database. The solution is based on a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) server running Ubuntu.
Why not use IIS I hear you ask? Mainly because of costs and licensing and the Ubuntu server will be running several Web sites.
Here is a very basic example of the PHP code using PDO and DBLIB:
$dbh= new PDO('dblib:host=SERVERNAME\SQLSERVERINSTANCE;dbname=DBNAME',$user,$password);
$query = “SELECT * FROM SOME_TABLE”;
$statement = $dbh->prepare($query);
$result = $statement->fetchAll(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
You need to install the DBLIB PDO driver:
sudo apt-get install php7.0-sybase
Online shoppers want fast websites and apps that are also visually rich and personalised, but how technically difficult is this to achieve?
Source: How long will you wait for a shopping website to load? – BBC News
An easy tutorial on how to create a WordPress Site on Raspberry Pi in only 8 steps. Comments? Questions? Post below! | Raspberry Pi Tutorials
Source: WordPress Site on Raspberry Pi | Raspberry Pi Tutorials
Nearly all of us have had spam emails from a business that have had one or more Email accounts or their website hacked and normally we ignore it and add it to our Email clients spam list and that’s the end of it. But what does this mean to the business ? They have just lost clients permanently.
So how do business prevent such disastrous events ?
- Every PC, Laptop, Tablet and Phone should have an active anti virus installed.
- You Email domain needs to have some kind of SPAM filtering so that your users do not click on an infected Email, for a small business this can normally be done via the anti virus application.
- Unless your web site is static you must ensure that the web design company or individual provide regular updates to the base code and web hosting package you have, if they don’t do this don’t use them and find a more professional company.
- Ensure that your hosting account has very strong passwords, such as your control panel, FTP account and Email accounts.
- When an employee leaves your business change every password they might have known !
- Monitor Email blacklists to see if you have been included, your web design company should do this.
- Do not send SPAM.
- Add a SPF record to prevent anyone sending Email with your from Email address.
These are the basics but will prevent the multitude of attacks. It is better to do this now than loose customers remember TalkTalk and Vtech to name a few.
If you require assistance please contact us.
A client in London asked us to create a custom build of Linux.
Custom Debian Linux build.
The client wanted a fast boot and minimum install of Debian to use for a custom embedded application, the build had to include the following:
- File sharing
- A web browser
- A web server
- Minimum desktop
- Auto start the application on user login
We achieved the above by using the Debian net install as the base, Xorg as the X Windows server, Openbox as the desktop, Samba for file sharing, Nginx as the web server.
The target hardware will be a low powered dual core with 2 GB of RAM and 60GB of solid state storage.
If you require something similar or a bespoke software development from a UK company please contact us